Is water moving down the sink slowly? Is there a pungent smell coming from the drains? These are the most tell-tale symptoms of a clog buildup. The drain pipe fitted outdoors transports wastewater and sewage from your home and disposes them into the sewer line. When this particular pipe gets clogged, you are obviously exposed to a lot of nasty problems.
A qualified plumbing mechanic in London shares few words in the following paragraphs of this blog post about dealing with blocked drains to help you unclog your outdoor drain pipes. There quite some DIY approaches that prove effective in these situations.
In order to fix the problem, the first you need to know is what caused the block. This is crucial because different solutions exist for different types of drain clogs. There is no universal, “one size fits all” solution to fix drain clogging. For example, clogs in bathroom drains occur mostly due to hair and soap. Toilet drains often get clogged by toilet paper and sanitary pads whereas, grease, food items and oil are responsible for clogging kitchen drains.
Outdoor drains can get clogged because of all the factors mentioned above. In addition to that factors like dried leaves, silt, outdoor dirt and debris can also contribute to their clogging. So how will you know whether silt, grease, dried leaves or outdoor debris has created the clog in your external drainage pipe? Before discussing this aspect let us take a quick look at the tools you need to unblock drains.
Your essential tools for unblocking drains
- Rubber gloves: Drains are undeniably dirty and smelly. You need a pair of soft rubber gloves while dealing with your amateur plumbing mission.
- Waste bags: Waste bags prove helpful when you dispose the debris into the waste bin.
- Rope: You’ll need a rope to remove a drain cover with ease.
- Drain rod: This item is available at any standard hardware store and proves effective dislodging clogs.
- Bleach: Plumbers dealing in blocked drains in London suggest bleach as a superb outdoor drain cleaner. Moreover, it also help minimising the typical nasty smell that comes from drains.
- Caustic soda: Apart from a drain rod, you should better be equipped with caustic soda – an effective chemical to unblock drains. However, this should be your last resort before calling for professional help.
- Garden hose: This is an additional item that you may require while cleaning the drain after unsettling the clog.
Unclogging an outdoor drain
Let us break down this task in small and easy steps.
- Remove drain cover: Every outdoor drain gets a cover installed for security purpose. You need applying force using a screwdriver or any metallic tool to take the cover out. If your cover has handles for gripping, you’re lucky. If the cover has been sealed for long, you may require a rope to open it.
- Take a good look inside: If the drain chamber is holding back water, then it is obvious the clog has occurred in the chamber itself.
- Apply drain rod: Manual effort through using a drain rod is one of the best techniques to clear away drain blockades. Thrust the rod at the blockade location till it gets removed. Rotate the rod in clockwise direction to properly dislodge the clog. Avoid rotating the other way because when you do it anti-clockwise, the action may unscrew the plunger attachment.
- Clear away the residual debris: After the clog is taken care of, clear away the residual debris to avoid the chances of a recurring effect. You can do this easily by pouring water. In order to check whether the problem has been properly taken care of you just need to open every tap in the house for some time. If you find water is draining out smoothly, then you should congratulate yourself for a splendid job.
Tips to prevent your drains from clogging
You have to prevent the following items from going down the drain in order to prevent clogging.
- Sanitary pads and nappies
- FOG or fats, oils and grease
- Wet wipes
- Used floss
- Tampons, applicators and wrappers
- Plasters and bandages
- Razor blades
- Plasters and bandages
- Cotton buds
- Syringes and medicines
Reliable drain un-blockers
Qualified plumbers at 4D Heating and Plumbing at Barlby Road in London identify the following as some of best drain cleaners to make your task easier.
- Caustic soda
- Hair grease remover for drains
- Buster bathroom plughole un-blocker
- Hg liquid drain unblocker
Hope this blog post will help you achieve your goal. For more information or suggestion, you’re free to contact us any time.